TAKING CONTROL OF YOUR DIABETES
Just because you have diabetes, it doesn’t mean you can’t enjoy an active and fulfilling life. An essential part of controlling diabetes is getting your blood sugar under control. You can live a healthy life with fewer complications by staying in control of your blood sugar.
Some of the key elements of diabetes management include:
- Working closely with your healthcare team to set blood glucose targets and putting together a plan for achieving them.
- Regularly testing your blood glucose levels. A key component of diabetes management is learning how food, activity, stress and other lifestyle factors affect blood glucose. Regular blood glucose monitoring can measure the impact of each of these factors and help you make informed decisions about what needs to change to better control blood glucose.
- Eating a well balanced diet, customized to your needs. This involves working with your dietitian to understand what, when and how much you should be eating to regulate blood glucose levels and help achieve and maintain optimal weight.
- Engaging in regular physical activity. Exercise is important for managing blood glucose, weight, and stress.
- Choosing the right medications – and taking them as prescribed. Medications don’t work as well if you don’t take them as prescribed. Follow the advice of your physician for best results.
- Taking care of you. This includes looking after your personal hygiene, putting together a sick day plan (and sticking to it) and working to reduce stress in your life.